Lost documents? How to replace them fast

Misplaced your driving licence? Lost your MOT? Don’t stress; it is possible to get replacement documents, you just need to know how.

Getting a replacement Driving Licence

Speak to the DVLA ( Telephone: 0300 790 6801 Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm – Saturday, 8am to 2pm) to order a replacement. You can online apply or by post but you will have to pay the £20 charge to get the replacement sent out to you.

on the other hand, if you need to make any amendments such as updating your address, you need to get and complete a D1 form, you can get this from any local Post Office or your local DVLA office, then just send off both payment and paperwork to the DVLA (Swansea, SA99 1AB).

The time it takes to get your replacement driving licence is around 3 weeks.

Getting a replacement MOT

You can get a new MOT certificate by visiting any MOT service garage.

Take your car registration certificate (log book) which has all the information the MOT inspector will need to reissue you with a new MOT certificate, you may be charged up to a maximum of £10 for the new copy.

Please bear in mind that driving without an MOT Certificate will get you an FPN (Fixed penalty notice) of £300 and six points for the insurance offence, and £100 (AFAIK) and no points for the MOT.

But providing your MOT is still valid, you’re still permitted to drive while waiting for your substitute and if you do get stopped by the authorities, your MOT can be checked electronically via the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) data source, which oversees MOT tests.

MOT FPN and points

Getting a replacement Insurance Policy

Ask your insurance provider for a duplicate certificate if you managed to lose your copy. Remember that some insurance providers will charge for the replacement copy, sometimes as much as £40 per copy for an insurance policy, also to add amendments they can charge as much as £55.

Looking at an insurer’s charges might not be top of your list when doing your research to discover the best offer but it’s a question worth investigating at least once so you know the amount of you’ll be billed if you want duplicate policies or want to make amendments to them in the foreseeable future.

Getting a replacement Log Book (V5C)

In the event that you lose this, you can apply for a duplicate by phone or online, as long as you are the registered keeper of the car and you do not need to make any amendments at this point in time; such as your address or name.

A replacement copy could cost you £20-£25. If you wish to apply by post get hold of a V62 form, this can be downloaded and printed off from GOV.UK, visit a local a POST OFFICE or local DVLA office.

The charge remains the same you must return the paperwork and payment to the DVLA (Swansea, SA99 1DD). Online forms complete in around 1 week and posted forms take up to 4 weeks, so its best just to do it online.